Different U.S states have different levels of minimum required coverage, and you may need to increase your premium if you are moving out of your state.You already know, you are required to have valid car insurance in the United States in order to drive legally. But how to get the best possible car insurance before you move to another state? How to get car insurance before you move to another state? It is a perfect guide from WikiHow.
Do not cancel your old (existing) car insurance policy before setting up your new (better) one!
The best time to cancel your existing insurance?
Just because you are able to cancel your car insurance at any time it does not mean you should do that. But when you are moving to another state...you can go through the process of purchasing "the new" car insurance policy and make your first payment. After that, you can cancel your "old" car insurance.
Knowing when you can cancel (storno) your policy will make sure your car is always covered for the right amount of time
Tips & tricks: How to cancel your existing insurance and not worry about the penalty?
Insurance companies in the United States give you the right to cancel your policy at any time, as long as you give proper notice. But if you've miscalculated your car insurance and would prefer not to pay "wrong" premiums, call your agent! By talking to your insurance agent, you have chance, that he will offer you a discount or a new policy that will work for you. Do you need to change your existing policy becouse of your moving to another state or whatever reason? Once you have calculated your premium, it may be far better and advantageous a one-time penalty of - let's say $30/$100 - to get better coverage, cheaper rates or great insurance service.
If you cancel an existing insurance policy without first getting a new car insurance policy in the new State, you can face fines and penalties for driving uninsured or higher premiums in the future...
Assessing your new insurance needs: Q&A
- Think about how much you will be driving after you move to another US State
- Are you shipping your vehicle? The company you are shipping your vehicle with will insure the move.
- You should contact your current agent and ask questions
- Your current insurance company does not offer policies in the state you are moving? Find an agent near you!
- Always ask for auto insurance quotes and compare them!
- How much would it cost to insure your vehicle in the new location?
- Who has the cheapest auto insurance quotes in California, New York City, Florida and other States?
Another reasons to cancel your policy!
- You dont like your car anymore...
- Your car is being restored or totally crashed...
- You are planning to donate your car to charity...how about your existing car insurance?
- You can have a major family change...
- And - ofc - you are no longer satisfied with current auto insurance company
Ask your own question related to this topic
- Will my car insurance cover me if I move to a different city?
- If I move to another US state does my existing driving record follow me?
- Can I have auto insurance policy from a different state than the state I live in actually?
- Can i move a financed (leased) car across state lines how about my insurance?
- How moving to another State affects my auto and homeowner insurance rates?
- Is switching automobile insurance in a new US State problematic?
- The Comprehensive Guide on SR22 and switching my policy!
- How to ship a car to another state and how to insure my vehicle while moving?
- Moving and transferring my car out of Florida, Miami
- Will my insurance go up if I move across United States?
- Will my auto insurance cover me and my car if I move to a different city in the USA?
- What to do if my car insurance policy lapses before moving?
Ask your own question related to this topic...
- Dave Jones, Commissioner
- (Chair, Western Zone)
- California Department of Insurance
- 300 Capitol Mall, Suite 1700
- Sacramento, California 95814
- Phone: 916.492.3500
- Fax: 916.445.5280
- 45 Fremont Street, 23rd Floor
- San Francisco, California 94105
- Phone: 415.538.4010
- Fax: 415.904.5889
- 300 South Spring Street
- South Tower
- Los Angeles, California 90013
- Phone: 213.346.6464
- Fax: 213.897.9051
Department of InsuranceTo request professional legal assistance with an insurance question or file an insurance-related complaint online, please visit website of licensed in your State.
Ask for better quotes - onlineThe states with the cheapest car insurance has average rates for this vehicle around $15 dollars, and the states with the most expensive rates are around $108 a month/year. The right discount can save you hundreds of dollars off your car insurance bill. Auto insurance companies in California, Los Angeles, Florida, New York use rating factors, to determine how much to charge you for coverage. These rating factors include: the make, model and year of your Ford, Chrysler, Bmw, Toyota and similar vehicles.
Myths about car insuranceHow much do you pay to insure your Ford, Chrysler, Bmw, Toyota? Car insurance rates among states vary widely and insurance companies need to figure out if the applicant is too risky for them to insure. Auto insurance is very expensive, probably one of the most costly part of driving. How much do you pay for your policy in California, Los Angeles, Florida, New York? 49$? More or less?
Minimum insurance requirements
The minimum amount of liability insurance you must have on your policy is:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person.
- $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
- $5,000 for damage to property.